Malacañang said on Tuesday there is no need to issue a travel advisory against Hong Kong, despite rumors of “abuse” after the August 23 Manila hostage crisis.
Presidential Communications Operations Office head Herminio Coloma said there has been no recommendation yet for a travel advisory against Hong Kong, where many residents have expressed their anger and disappointment over the Manila hostage crisis that claimed the lives of eight Hong Kong tourists.
On August 23, Rolando Mendoza, a dismissed senior police inspector hijacked a bus and held hostage 21 Hong Kong tourists and four Filipinos. After an 11-hour standoff, Mendoza and eight Hong Kong tourists were killed.
Hong Kong, an hour after the hostage crisis ended last Monday, had issued a “black” travel advisory against the Philippines.
On Monday, Claro Cristobal, Philippine consul-general in Hong Kong, said if Filipino travelers are still anxious over last week’s massacre in Manila, they may want to postpone for now their vacation in Hong Kong.
Cristobal said there is no real threat against Filipinos in Hong Kong and that rumors of Filipinos being ganged up on, or killed, in Hong Kong are baseless.
Cristobal assured that Hong Kong is one of the “most mature areas” in Asia, where the police and emergency response teams will always be ready to secure their guests. (PIA-Bohol)