THE Filipino people express their sympathy with the families of the victims of the Quirino Grandstand hostage-taking incident in last year as well as the people of Hong Kong, a Palace official said on
“We recognize the grief that continues to burden the relatives of the victims and we remain committed to reforms and improvements that will move relations between our peoples forward,” Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said in his statement on the eve of the the Quirino Grandstand hostage-taking incident.
Lacierda said that concerned private citizens have also established a Solidarity Fund for the families of the victims, in keeping with the deep solidarity Filipinos feel for the victims and their families.
“The Philippines has undertaken the investigations into official culpability: resulting in a dismissal and the filing of administrative charges against four police officials,” he said.
Lacierda said the Aquino administration has improved the capability and equipment of the Special Action Force (SAF) and established a Tourism Police to ensure the safety of visitors.
“Officials of the government will be meeting with some of the families of the victims and with a Hong Kong legislator to share updates on progress in the year since the tragedy took place,” Lacierda said.
The survivors and relatives of the slain hostage victims arrived on Sunday from Hong Kong to seek justice and support from the Philippine government. (PCOO)