FORMER Armed Forces of the Philippines chief of staff Roy Cimatu denied receiving millions
of pesos as “pabaon” (sendoff gift) upon his retirement from the military, even as he said he
is ready to face an investigation into the matter.
Cimatu made the denial in an interview as he arrived at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport
from the Middle East past 10 p.m. Tuesday night.
Cimatu, special envoy to the Middle East, was instructed to return to the country. He arrived
on an Emirates flight from Dubai.
Cimatu had been sent to Egypt to check on the situation of Filipinos there amid protests
against President Hosni Mubarak, but the mission was called off.
The report quoted Cimatu as saying he is ready to face an investigation on the matter to end
the controversy once and for all.
Last Thursday, former AFP fund manager retired Lt. Col. George Rabusa told a Senate
hearing Cimatu received a P80-million pabaon upon his retirement. (PIA)