The Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) is warning all retailers that will be caught selling and distributing uncertified Christmas lights.
DTI Central Visayas Director Asteria Caberte said the agency will be strictly monitoring the sale of Christmas lights in the market to protect consumers from the hazards posed by uncertified products such as electric shock and overheating that often lead to fire, property damages and even loss of lives.
She warned traders that the DTI will penalized those who are caught selling and distributing uncertified Christmas lights under Republic Act (RA) No. 4109 or the Standards Law.
In a bid to protect consumers, the department has issued a list of certified Christmas lights manufacturers in time for the Yuletide season.
The list, which can be viewed at DTI Bureau of Philippines Standards (BPS) website at www.bps.dti.gov.ph, includes the Philippine Standards (PS) licenses and Import Commodity Clearances (ICC) of each manufacturer.
The PS and ICC certificates are issued to manufacturers or importers of mandatory products after they have undergone checking and inspection for product standards compliance.
Director Caberte said DTI has intensified its monitoring and enforcement activities across the region and those who will be caught violating the law will be penalized with monetary fines and product confiscation.
The DTI also reminds consumers to buy only Christmas lights certified by the Bureau of Philippines Standards (PS) to avoid any injurious or untoward incident from happening.
“For the consumers, we suggest that you look at the packaging of the Christmas lights and make sure there’s a certification seal. We would always suggest that consumers go for certified Christmas lights with appropriate stickers because safety is paramount,” Caberte said. #
The regional office of the Commission on Population and Development-7 will hold its 5th annual awarding ceremony for its documentary film-making, the Philippine Population Management Program (PPMP) or PPMP awards and Kaunlarang Pantao on November 14, 2019 (Thursday) at Montebello Villa Hotel, Banilad, Cebu City at 3:00 in the afternoon.
The 1st awarding ceremony is an independent inter-school film-making contest which is an annual activity open for all public and private high schools in Bohol, Cebu, Siquijor and Negros Oriental or in Central Visayas. This year’s genre is documentary filming of people in communities with real life situations with the theme: “The Youth and the Demographic Transition.” Six (6) semi-finalists from respective schools have been selected and these are: “Beat of the Black” (Bohol Wisdom School); “Carousel” (Cebu City Science High School); “Mamang” (Bais National High School); “D.I.–Drop In (Ramon Duterte Sr. Foundation-Science and Technology Education Center); “Hagip-ot” (City of Bogo Science and Arts Academy); and “Kalampusan” (Siquijor Provincial Science High School.) The six (6) documentary film entries will contend for the top prizes as Best Documentary Film (Top 3 Awards), Best in Direction, Scriptwriting, Cinematography, Audio Use, Editing, Poster, Trailer and Production. Minor prizes are pegged at Php 3,000.00 and the top 3 prizes are Php 10,000.00, Php 12,000.00 and Php 15, 000.00, respectively. Popcom-7’s documentary film-making contest is aimed to address the well-being of adolescents on concerns about youth sexuality, reproductive health and rights. The Best Documentary Film in the region will compete with other regional winners in the national level next year in 2020.
The 2nd set of the awarding ceremony is given to local government units (LGUs) and population officers with exemplary services extended to the population by having implemented the components of the Philippine Population Management Program (PPMP) such as responsible parenthood and family planning (RPFP), adolescent health and development (AHD), and Population Development (POPDEV) integration programs. These awards had been given since 2014 with inspiration from the Philippine Population Management Program; thus, the term – “the annual PPMP awards.” Other citations and recognitions will be given to stakeholders and partners of Popcom-7 who have been constantly implementing activities at the base related to population management and services. The 3rd set of awards now on its 1st year is Kaunlarang Pantao dedicated to the Most Outstanding Local Population Officers, Workers and Offices in the local government units (LGUs). (30)
JunareBaculio, President of the Bohol PWD Workers Association, graduates in the recently concluded Kapatid Mentor Micro Entrepreneurs (KMME) program in Bohol which was held at the Panda Tea Garden Grand Pavilion on October 23, 2019.
JunareBaculio, President of Bohol PWD Workers Association shares his KMME journey during the graduation ceremonies of KMME Batch 5 in Tagbilaran City on October 23, 2019.
Baculio, a blind musician, gained the praises and admiration of his onlookers and batchmates when he marched on stage with the aid of a friend, who has been his buddy ever since. In his message, Baculio expressed his thanks to DTI Bohol who gave him and his fellow persons with disability the opportunity to experience this one-of-a-kind mentoring session to help them develop and grow their entrepreneurial abilities.Baculio said that being a person with disability does not hinder him from getting on his dreams for the association.
The Bohol PWD Workers Association is a beneficiary of DTIs Shared Service Facility (SSF) project for its musical recording studio located at Tamblot Street, Tagbilaran City. To further strengthen and capacitate SSF co-operators on business and entrepreneurship, this batch of the KMME was implemented to cater to 14 other SSF co-operators across the province.
DTI Regional Director Aster Caberte expressed her admiration on Baculio, who despite being blind, was able to show to his fellow mentees that his disability is not hindering his potentials as a person and as an entrepreneur. Caberte further said that she is inspired by the dedication, commitment and sincerity of Baculio and she is so proud of DTI Bohol who have given focused assistance to persons with disability in the province. (vligan)
Above photo shows JunareBaculio with DTI Bohol Provincial Director Maria Soledad Balistoy, DTI-7 Regional Director Aster Caberte and Bohol Chamber of Commerce and Industry VP for External Affairs Engr. Albert M. Uy. (photo by DTI Bohol)
Atbang Farm’s tablea is named one of the Philippines’ top five tablea drink during the recently concluded KakaoKonek 2019, the biggest annual event of cacao farmers and chocolatiers in the country. A total of 38 entries from all over the country participated the first ever National Tablea Drink Contest and had their tablea chocolate drink entries subjected to taste tests by more than 30 jurors from all regions of the country, following specific set of rules and guidelines set by the event organizers.
The conference, dubbed as “Filipinas Tablea and Chocolate Expo and Cacao Conference” was held last October 17 – 18, 2019 in Davao City, and was organized by the Philippine Cacao Industry Development Council (PCIDC) in partnership with the Cacao Industry Development Association of Mindanao, Inc. (CIDAMI). More than a thousand attendees from the 14 regions in the country attended the event which was held at the SMX Convention Center in Lanang.
This year, 12 Women Micro Entrepeneurs (WMEs) participated in this 2-day activity allowing them to network and appreciate innovations and development directions for the cacao industry in the country. Their participation was made possible with support from the Provincial Government, the Department of Trade and Industry and the Department of Agriculture through the Great Women Project 2.
One of the highlights of KakaoKonek 2019 was the awarding of the Top 5 Philippine National Tablea Drink. Months back, the province of Bohol through the prodding of the Department of Trade and Industry together with the Bohol Cacao Development Council sent 5 entries to the said contest to include the following firms: Atbang Farm of Ms. Efrenia Holt, Calape, Bohol, Balai Cacao Enterprises of Ms. Marie Frances Macabenta, Manga District, Tagbilaran City, Audrey’s Bakery of Ms. Audree Arellano, Panglao, Bohol, Canjulao League of Women, Jagna, Bohol and Aurora’s Tablea of Ms. Gina Solis, Loay, Bohol.
Miss Efrenia Holt, owner of Atbang Farm shared her farm journey, whichstarted when she planted cacao trees in 2011 at her farm in Calape, Bohol. However, these cacao trees were almost wiped out during BagyongSenyang and were also affected by the 2013 7.2 magnitude earthquake that hit Bohol. These and many other challenges allowed her to continue her passion on farming and having seen the market demand for dried and/or fermented cacao beans, she took it as another business model and opportunity for community based livelihood endeavors. Atbang Farm Molded Tablea has been developed and is now being marketed in malls and in select Hotels and Resorts in Panglao and in Tagbilaran City.
Atbang Farm is one of the twenty five (25) WMEs enrolled with the Great Women Project 2 – a Government of Canada funded project on “Supporting Women Economic Empowerment in the Philippines.” This project in Bohol is organized and managed by the local Department of Trade and Industry. A number of technical support and extension services are being provided to the project enrollees to include among others, technology replication through skills trainings, enterprise management trainings, marketing support, product development, packaging and label development, networking and resource mobilization, raw material sourcing, FDA LTO and CPR registration to name a few. These extension services are designed to ensure their business sustainability using various business models.
Ms. Efrenia Holt of Atbang Farm received the Award for being one of the Top 5 Philippine National Tablea Drink. Handing the award is the Philippine Cacao National Council Chair Mr. ValentiTurtur together with Ms. Charito Puentispina of Malagos Chocolates and DTI XI ARD Engr. Edwin Banquerigo Joining Ms. Holt in the awarding are Consul Armi Garcia, Cebu Provincial Cacao Council Chairperson, Blair Panong, DTI7 Regional Cacao IC Focal and Ms.Mari Frances Macabenta of Balai Cacao Enterprises and Mr. Jun Val, Cacao Entrepreneur from Dauis, Bohol.
Bohol police under newly assigned police chief, Police
Colonel Jonathan Cabal have three priority marching orders from the governor, ones which could define
crime prevention as well as bring Bohol to a new level in peace and security for investments to thrive.
Speaking at the Kapihan Sa PIA commemorating Crime Prevention Week, Colonel Cabal who just took
the top seat of the Bohol Provincial Police Station weeks ago said the governor wanted police to
intensify intelligence operations, secure tourism spots and intensify the campaign against illegal drugs.
Cabal, who had a successful stint as the director for Regional Intelligence Division decorated by the
neutralization of the Abu Sayyaf terrorists who tried getting their lucrative terroristic activities to Bohol,
said he supports the governor considering that police work starts and ends in intelligence.
Col Cabal was Regional Logistics chief before he assumed the Bohol post.
On the matter of tourism and securing tourism spots, Cabal said there would be changes in the Bohol
Tourist Police set-up.
He said, in his administration, he wants all men doing what they do best: police work.
He noticed that those assigned at the Tourist Police Units are somewhat “underutilized” and are shaking
off investigation work, which has the police at the losing end of the pole.
We have ample tourist police, we have audited their performance; how they go about their activities,
But stagnation within the ranks of the tourist police may have hit the new police director.
Every four years, police have to go to another station, he bared the tour of duty tradition of the force, a
hint to the possible change in the assignments for police assigned for tourist security.
“There will be changes,” he promised even as a new head of the Tourist Police Unit sits now in
Lieutenant Colonel Ismael Gaona with the former head, Lt. Col Resti Santos on Mandatory Officers’
Over a year into intensive anti-drug operations, the Bohol police still sees a steep battle ahead with the
increasing bulk of haul from the streets.
And while the governor has put on the police mission boards an intensified anti-drugs operation, not
long after, police authorities in joint operations with narcotics agents stormed on a house in Clarin and
shot it out with drug suspects, two of whom died, during the heat of shooting exchange.
Among those who were nabbed were two minors who were used as drug couriers by the drug
syndicates, Col. Cabal said.
Among the suspects were also two who were drug suspects who were out following a plea bargain
Asked how the police are taking the offered plea bargaining for drug offenders so they stay out of jails
when they plead to a lesser crime, Cabal has a mouthful.
“Statistics-wise, most if not all of those nabbed [in recent times] are repeat offenders who go in and out
of prison, grantees of the plea bargaining agreement,” he said.
He pointed out the scant opportunities for rehabilitation, that when these people are out of jail and
meet the same company, the chances are high they slide back to the same offenses.
Over the theory that most of the recent crimes are drug-related, City Police Chief Lieutenant Colonel
Christopher Navida ascribed the significant increase in crimes in the second quarter of 2019, crimes like
robbery and hold-up are committed by previously arrested illegal drugs offenders.
But while the police are having their hands full, authorities are now trying to get more of the community
working for lessened criminality.
The 25th Crime Prevention Week theme sates: Buhay pahalagahan, Komunidad magtulungan, Krimen
The Women in Literary Arts – Cebu, Inc. (WILA), with the sponsorship of the National Commission for Culture and the Arts (NCCA), will conduct a creative writing workshop focusing on the flash fiction genre on September 14-15. 2019 (Saturday-Sunday).
The workshop panel will be headed by one of the founding members of WILA, the literary scholar and poet, Dr. Erlinda Kintanar-Alburo. The workshop program consists of a keynote lecture, presentations by fictionists among WILA members, and a workshop proper
where the works will be discussed by the panel and the workshop auditors under the supervision of a session moderator.
Interested individuals should submit either a set of (a) three (3) pieces of flash fiction that should not be more than 400 words but not less that 200 or (b) two (2) pieces composed of more than 400 words but not more than 900. The entries may be in English, and/or Cebuano and must not have been published or submitted to other workshops prior to Paglambo. The participant should also submit a short bionote and an updated CV that includes a list of published works and contact information.
The entries must be in the following format: Times New Roman font style, 12 font size, one inch all around margin and encoded on a document file with an 8” x11” setting. The entries, in a Word file, shall be sent as an attachment and emailed to this address:
In the subject field, the following should be indicated: FlashFiction_ (e.g.,FlashFiction_DE LA CRUZ, JUANA). Entries should be sent by the deadline on Saturday, 31 August 2019. Participants will be notified if their entries are accepted by Saturday, 07 September 2019. For more information, please email the project coordinator Joanalyn P. Gabales at firstname.lastname@example.org.