President Benigno S. Aquino III on Tuesday ordered the National Disaster Risk Reduction
and Management Council (NDRRMC) to conduct a thorough review of the country’s disaster
risk reduction measures to minimize loss of lives during calamities especially in communities.
The President issued the directive to NDRRMC head and Defense Secretary Voltaire
Gazmin following reports of casualties in Southern Luzon, Bicol region, Eastern Visayas and
Mindanao due to floods and landslides last month.
The President noted that in spite of his earlier directive for concerned agencies to evacuate
residents in risk areas, there were still casualties.
“Today , I asked the Secretary of National Defense, being the head of the NDRRMC, to find
out exactly why there were two people who died in the same place, “ he said referring to St.
Bernard in Southern Leyte , where over a thousand residents died when flashfloods hit the
community in 2006. The recent heavy downpour also caused floods and landslides in the
area and claimed at least two lives.
The NDRRMC said at least 37,124 families or 197,641 people from 242 barangays in 39
towns in 10 provinces had been affected. (PIA/PCOO)