THE Aquino government started distributing emergency shelter assistance (ESA) to the
families affected by a landslide in a remote gold mining area in southern Philippines’
In a news briefing at Malacanang, Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda announced on
Tuesday that the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) started distributing
ESA in the amount of P5,000 each to victims of the landslide that buried shanties last week.
Lacierda said the government started undertaking measures to extend assistance to victims
of the landslide by providing them ESA as well as food packs.
The government, Lacierda stressed, will also implement a self-employment assistance
program through the DSWD for the qualified local residents who were affected by the
“For a more long-term assistance, the DSWD will assess if those who have been affected by
the landslide are eligible for the self-employment assistance program of the DSWD,” he said.
Relocation efforts in the affected areas were intensified with the local government working at
the forefront. “With respect to the relocation efforts in these areas, the local government will
be taking care of that,” he said.
The landslide caused by heavy rains buried shanties in a mining area at Compostela Valley
before dawn on Good Friday, killing several people and leaving scores of residents missing.