7 killed in MILF attacks

On Sunday, after the Oct. 18 event, two more different incidents, leaving a toll of five civilians and two soldiers dead, suspected action done by the Moro Islamic Liberation Front(MILF) rebels. Western Mindanao Command reported that Hassan Asnawi, a commander of the MILF’s 114th Base Command, led a 50-strong force surprisingly attacked the truck owned by a rubber cooperative in Basilan, leaving five civilians dead and eight others wounded. Maj. Harold Cabunoc, the acting Army spokesperson, said those killed and injured were on a truck owned by Tumahubong Agrarian Reform Beneficiaries Inc. Development Cooperative that was used to haul rubber. Other incident transpired in Sultan Naga Dimaporo in Lanao del Norte, armed men ambushed troops led by Lt. Col. Bagnum Gaerlan of the 5th Infantry Battalion, killing two soldiers and wounding four others.

Lt. Col. Randolph Cabangbang, Wesmincom spokesperson,as he said had forwarded troops hounding the rebels in Basilan and Lanao del Norte. Mohaqher Iqbal, MILF chief negotiator, said the investigation of October 18 incident had been started by a Malaysian-led International Monitoring Team headed by Maj. Gen. Dato Mahdi Bin Yusof.The output of the said investigation would be discussed upon the resumption of peace talks next month in Kuala Lumpur. Despite the successive events, President Aquino III sustained to be it in a peace talks with the MILF. He conveyed hopes to the relatives of the casualties to hunt down those men behind the attacks.

Submit a Comment