Officials urge fishermen to help guard Bohol waters

 

 

TAGBILARAN CITY, April 21 (PIA)–Local government officials here are not taking any more chances: they are mobilizing information force multipliers against threat groups inside and outside Bohol.

 

At the Press Briefing for the updates on the Inabanga clash between government troops and Abu Sayyaf Group members, Police Task Group Commander PCSuperintendent Noli Taliño hinted the need for a tight dragnet that could snag the remnants of the clash who are on the run and may slip out of Bohol through stolen boats.

 

Earlier on that same day of the briefing April 17, Governor Edgar Chatto said he met Bohol Congressional representatives, Bohol Provincial Officials, mayors and Municipal Local Government Operations Officers to cascade the mandate to form the dragnet that they would spread across all coastal towns to watch for any attempt to escape.

 

The expressed instruction is: convene all coastal law enforcement (CLE) groups, fishermen organizations and commercial fishers to help in the efforts to keep Bohol safe.

 

Bohol has 29 coastal towns of its 48 towns and organizing these fisher groups and commercial fishers as additional eyes and ears can well boost Bohol’s efforts to enforce an impenetrable wall from the outside and a containment that does not allow just anybody to slip through.

 

Marginal fishermen, commercial fishers, they can be our help in watching our coastal areas from any stranger groups leaving or landing, a police security officer at the briefing sidelines explained.

 

While intelligence officials have hailed Bohol’s community based Purok Power movement which helped spread the information about the incursion of the ASG bandits over ten kilometers upriver, the governor stressed, “everyone realizes the defense of the community in not just a task of the police and the military.”

 

Army intelligence officer Lt Col. Adolfo Espuelas Jr., however was positive that the 7 ASG remnants of the encounter are still contained in the area around Napo, Canlinte, Cawayan, Dagohoy and Lonoy, in the hinterlands of Inabanga.

 

In a hostile community, the remnants of the clash are demoralized, left with few ammunition, have no food, no sleep and practically no capacity to consummate what they intend to do, Col. Espuellas said.

 

Army intelligence also bared that the firefight that almost lasted 24 hours, left the ASG’s local contact Joselito Melloria with a wound in the left back shoulder and left foot, another young fighter with a wound in the right leg and yet another fighter with wound in the right buttocks.

Intelligence also reports that the remnants have only 3 M16 rifles, one fitted with  an M203 grenade launcher, one M14, a depleted ammunition supply, an analog cell phone with spare batteries, no food, no local support, have been sleepless and are on the run without any more capacity to fight.

At the same meeting, Gov Chatto told media that he pressed on the role of civilians in the side of law enforcement against terrorism and criminality even as he cited the role the children played that led to the thwarting of the ASG terror plans.

 

“The mayors resolved to strengthen all towns, barangays and puroks especially their coastal areas,” Chatto appraised the Bohol media during the briefing.

 

Even then, President Rodrigo Duterte announced that the government is giving a cash bounty of a million pesos to anybody who could positively share information leading to the arrest or neutralization of the remaining bandits in Bohol.

 

He also urged civilians to help as he hinted a government move to arm the civilians to help pursue the bandits. (rahc/PIA-7/Bohol)

Bandits demoralized, left without support

 

TAGBILARAN CITY, April 18 (PIA)–The remnants of the armed bandits the joint police and military operatives encountered in Inabanga are demoralized, on the run without any support system, and it may not be long before the government troops get to them.

Thus hinted Lieutenant Colonel Adolfo Espuelas Jr, speaking for the Intelligence Service of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (ISAFP) during a press briefing with the military and the police on the Inabanga incident.

Last April 11, government troops acted upon information from the community in Napo and attempted to confirm the presence of at least 12 armed men, who came up river on three small but fast boats.

The bandits welcomed the troops with sniping fire, that a trading of gunfire ensued which lasted for over 24 hours.

The government used air assets, dropped 10 bombs and helicopter fire to flash out the snipers in well entrenched spots.

When the smoke of gunfight settled, the government lost three soldiers and a special weapons expert while the military declared five body counts from the enemies, including the alleged leader of the group Abu Rami.

Military authorities also recovered one Colt M4 Rifle with long magazine and 28 ammunitions, one M16 A1, one AR Cal 223, one M16 A1 Rifle with short magazine and twenty live ammo, one calibre 45, one M203 ammo, two short housing magazine assembly.

 

Also recovered were one galva tester (electronic current tester), one Icom radio, one flashlight, two remote control radio, two surgical forceps, five Kuran (Muslim bibles), one  electric soldering gun, 27 glue sticks, one electric cutter, one pair of scissors, one small screw driver, led component, 22 silicon control rectifiers (for electronic power control), four 12 volt relays, eight slide switches, 86 led lights, 46 resistors, three cellphone batteries, one nine volts battery, ten Christmas light bulbs and three pump boats.

 

The discovery bolstered the  intelligence reports that the group were to do bombing operations.

 

Two of those who died were a couple who owned the house where the armed bandits.

Military sources later said some 7 armed men may have escaped the onslaught but are still contained in the nearby barangays.

A day later, during mopping up operations, military troops dug up another corpse which later was pegged as the bandit’s bomb expert.

While frightened Boholanos shared hundreds of information on social media about the incident, Governor Edgar Chatto called for vigilance and pleaded to pass any information to authorities so they can handle the analysis.

Even if you have good intentions but do not have the basis for sharing information, do not make conclusions and do not pass it on. You are not helping, Chatto was quoted by his media group the Effective Development Communications (EDCOM).

But as the days went on with the military troops tracking the stragglers, Col Espuelas said the enemies are in no fighting mood and their priority is escaping.

“The firefight has expended most of their ammunition and they have lost the capacity to inflict any more damage,” he said.

On or about 1:00 PM of April 12, residents have confirmed the presence of 7 armed bandits begging for food in the vicinity of the encounter area, and days later, witnesses reportedly saw the same armed men, emaciated, three of them wounded, including their local contact Joselito Meloria, who nursed a wound in the back of the shoulder.

They have no food, they are in a hostile territory unlike in Sulu or Basilan when they have supporters, and Boholanos are reporting their whereabouts, Col Espuelas commented.

“It might not be long, as government troops continue to scour the area,” he added.

Bohol authorities have confirmed that a concerned citizen has put up a bounty of P100,000 for each of the bandits, the reward money to be given to anyone who could provide information leading to the arrest and neutralization of any of the stragglers.  (rac/PIA-7/Bohol)

Bohol Police Chief PSSupt Felipe Natividad and ISAFP Lt. Col Adolfo Espuelas are positive the remnants of the armed bandits are on the brink of breaking down, contained in the fields of Inabanga, where the government troops are catching up on them anytime. (rac/PIA-7/Bohol)

Aris, post-encounter, to Boholanos: Stay calm

 

 By JUNE S. BLANCO

 

REP. Erico Aristotle Aumentado (Bohol, 2nd District) has exhorted the Boholanos to stay calm.

This after the running gunbattle on Holy Tuesday in barangay Napo in Inabanga town between government troops and members of the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG).

Aumentado said the authorities have been conducting mopping up operations against the now ragtag band to assure his constituents that “we will be safe”.

He echoed Bohol Gov. Edgardo Chatto’s declaration that the military and the police are using all available resources for these operations to see to it that the Boholanos and visitors to this tourism destination can live in peace.

Aumentado also allayed fears of vacationers who have earlier booked stays in hotels and resorts in Panglao that Napo is over 90 kilometers from the now famous white sand beach and emerald waters of the former, the go-to place hereabouts for bathing, diving, water sports and other beach activities now that summer is officially here,

While there were six ASG killed in the clash, to include their leader Muammar Askali alias Abu Rami, the solon the Bohoholanos must not be complacent.

The slaying of the ASG members, however, cost four lives of government troops.

Killed in action were

He appealed especially to those in his district, where the encounter happened, to inform the officials and the police as well as government troops should there be new faces, more so if carrying firearms or if with suspicious movements, or wounded, sighted in their respective localities.

BRIEFING THE MEDIA. Lt. Gen. Oscar Lactao (center), commander of the AFP’s Central Command, narrates initial information gathered from the encounter site in barangay Napo in Inabanga town. He is flanked by, from left, 302nd Infantry Brigade Commander Col. Arnulfo Matanguihan, Rep. Erico Aristotle Aumentado (Bohol, 2nd District), Gov. Edgardo Chatto and Inabanga Mayor Josephine Socorro Jumamoy. Photo: Aris Aumentado’s Facebook Account

PO2 Arlene Manatad: One, only woman SWAT

TAGBILARAN CITY, March 11, (PIA)—So what’s with a woman in the elite police force?

There must have something that toughened this frail girl in a brood of four from a remote barangay in Buenavista, Bohol to let her squeeze through hardships as they fall one by one the moment she wears the bulletproof vest of prayer and determination.
The name Arlene Manatad is just like any ordinary Boholano name.
At 27, and a single parent to an 8 year old girl, this innocent looking face and disarming smile is a woman’s taser. But her normal build masks a core toughness that makes Arlene Manatad a name whispered among the elites of Bohol police force.
She has just crossed over the fence of the frail woman image to be honored as the first and only woman member of the elite police Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) team in Bohol.
Said to be the toughest test of physical fitness and agility, mental and spiritual strength among elite police officer’s trainings, SWAT commissioning have been notoriously called the most physically rigorous and mentally straining activity for 77 days of police life.
But for Police Officer 2 Manatad, the pain and the strain are just hurdles towards her determined goal to bring the woman earn its rightful equal footing, with the men.
Born on June 4, 1989 as the youngest in a brood of four, three of them boys, Arlene traces her playgrounds in remote barangay in Lusong, Buenavista town. Their father works as the barangay captian and sallies back and forth with works at the National Grid Corporation while her mother does the child rearing and the housework.
For her, being alone to fend off for herself is never new: she has to walk from her barangay to the nearby elementary school in Lubang, and to stay in a boarding house in Getafe for her secondary schools. By the time she was ripe for college, she opted to sail across to Cebu and studied Bachelor of Science major in Criminology at the University of Cebu. Alone.
A class mate in college, whom she would have to be forced to marry, got her pregnant. Four days after her marriage, her husband left them and would show up again later in her life.
When ladies of less temper would have surrendered to the bad fate, she continued her school while nursing the baby and keeping them eating square meals in economically challenging Cebu.
By December 1, 2010, she was accepted in the police force after passing the board, at that time, her estranged husband showed up to seek favors, but having survived after he abandoned them, she has had enough.
Her first assignment was at the Cebu Provincial Police Office, but desk work bores her that she decided to barge into the world of men in the police force: the Regional Public Safety Battalion.
There she showed what a woman can do in a world dominated by testosterone: become intelligence chief among Alpha ones.
To prove she still has a fight left in her, she jumped into the chance to train into the anti-insurgency police force: the PNP Scouts.
Along with 2000 at the trainings, Arlene was said to be the youngest but was the source of inspiration among women in the training camp.
“I was the youngest but I hand to be the mother taking care of the women who feel too tired to go on,” she beamed.
For that, she said she felt lucky to be among the 264 police officers accepted.
And that plus her precise operational skills endeared her to the elder SWAT: she was often borrowed to infiltrate anti-drug and anti- crime ring operations.
After completing years of meritorious service for Cebu, PO2 Arlene requested for transfer, where the SWAT and RPSB take turns using her skill and intelligence gathering skills in operations, enough to push her to finally officially join the SWAT training in Bohol.
Of the 4 women in the 72 who started training in November, PO2 Manatad flew through the hurdles, grimacing but the pain paid off when she finished among the top ten in a graduating class of 64.
“The training was hard but what was harder was when my father left us and my mother for another woman in 2012,” she bared.
But, if it had to happen, it should, she finally hinted.
Already whetted by the abrasive stones of trails, the acid test of endurance in trainings and the firm resolve to fight it out; nails and teeth, when life hands a dirty deal, living as a woman, mother and a crime-buster for PO2 Arlene Manatad has always been a multi-tasking feat.
“Of course, life is tough, she hints, but with the playing fields now expanding for women to get on the arena, all one needs is to commit to the tasks at hand and never give up,” she advised.
“As women, we should never be afraid to stand for our rights,” she stressed.
We are not alone. We have agencies that are there to help us, she capped.
That statement etched an image in our minds, “fix eyes to the target, breathe, relax, aim and shoot.”
It could have been PO2 Manatad’s unspoken motto.
She is an undisputed sharpshooter, co SWAT graduates proudly told us. (rac/PIA-7/Bohol)


Fixing the eyes to the crosshairs, breathe, relax, aim, squeeze and shoot. PO2 Arlene Manatad shares what being a woman is in a world brimming with testosterone. (rac/PIA-7/Bohol)

BPPO Proud of 62 new SWAT Members Innovation 1st in the country-PA

 
AFTER THE TRAGEDY that hit the Province of Bohol which left everyone stunned, the Bohol Provincial Police Office (BPPO) is sending the message that Boholanos can now feel safer.
 
This is because just last Tuesday, sixty-two members of the Philippine National Police and of the Armed Forces of the Philippines gladly participated in the graduation rites as new members of the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) Class “Pinagsanib” group after an exhaustive and rigid two-month special training.
 
The number started out with sixty-four trainees, but then, of the three women who have initially enlisted, two dropped out which then left a sole woman survivor who eventually graduated with sixty-one men in uniform.
 
The SWAT graduation ceremonies at the BPPO grounds commenced with a simulation of an actual combat situation where SWAT know-how and special mind tactics were deployed right before the very eyes of the guests.
 
The adrenaline rush was upped even more when three explosions were witnessed by everyone and the graduating class exhibited more special tactics, not only to please the audience, but more so, to show what would happen to offenders when they cross paths with Bohol’s latest SWAT corps.
 
Participants and guests were warmly greeted by Bohol PNP Chief Felipe Natividad, with Guest of Honor, PCSupt. Franklin Moises R. Mabanag, Deputy Regional Director for Administration, PRO-7; and Provincial Administrator Alfonso “Ae” R. Damalerio, in lieu of Gov. Edgar M. Chatto.
 
The Bohol SWAT Team is a composite group of the PNP and AFP, a clear innovation of the 302nd Achievers Brigade, the 47th Infantry Brigade, BPPO, the Provincial Peace and Order Council (PPOC), and the Provincial Government of Bohol under the helm of Gov. Edgar M. Chatto.
 
Provincial Administrator Damalerio proudly informed everyone that “this innovation is the very first in the country, and for the next step, we are now planning on an Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) training.”
 
EOD performs, supervises, and manages explosive ordnance disposal (EOD) operations; and locates, identifies, disarms, neutralizes, recovers, and disposes of hazardous explosives; conventional, chemical, biological, incendiary, and nuclear ordnance; and criminal or terrorist devices.
 
Other guests during the SWAT graduation ceremonies were Colonel Arnulfo Matanguihan, Commander of the 302nd Brigade of the Philippine Army, LTC Jose Dodjie Belloga Jr., Battalion Commander of the 47th IB of the Philippine Army, Superintendent Renato Dugan of PRO-7 and Tagbilaran City PNP Chief Col. Nicomedes Olaivar. (JLV/PGBh/EDCom)

Duterte, misaad nga tapuson ang ASG, korapsiyon

MANILA, January 9 (PIA)–Subling gitumbok ni Presidente Rodrigo Duterte ang iyang kampanya batok sa korapsiyon ug tinguhang tapuson na ang mga teroristang Abu Sayyaf sa gipangunahang command conference sa mga lider sa Philippine National Police (PNP) ug Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) ning bag-o lang.

Ang command conference mao ang tinuig nga panagtapok sa mga security officials sa nasod kauban ang Presidente nga mao ang commander-in-chief.

Apil sa nitambong sa command conference sa Malakanyang sila AFP Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Eduardo Año, PNP chief Dir. Gen. Ronald Dela Rosa ug mga nagkalain-laing commanders sa AFP ug PNP units.

Matud pa ni Presidential Spokesman Ernesto Abella, sa maong command conference nahatagan og security update ang Presidente kalabot sa kasamtangang national security situation ug law enforcement activities sa PNP.

Dugang pa ni Abella, nisunod niini ang guidance ni Presidente Duterte kalabot sa pagbatok sa korapsiyon, apil na usab ang pagbatok sa ilegal nga droga ug terorismo.

Gibalik usab sa commander-in-chief ang iyang tinguha nga mahunong na ang pagpanghasi nga gipanghimo sa Abu Sayyaf. (ecb/PIA7-Bohol)